Sunday, October 19, 2008
Videoconferencing
I am a mother of two middle school students and I got a letter home from their school today. It stated that they were going to be videoconferencing with another student in the same social studies class in another state. I'm nervous about this, and feel that this isn't educational. How can I make sure that what the teacher is doing is beneficial to my sons education?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You would have to talk to the teacher to see exactly what he/she is trying to do with the videoconferencing. From what you said, it seems like she's trying to get her students to discuss with other students about the lessons she is teaching. I think that is a very creative idea for students to learn!
Before you get too nervous, let me tell you what I know about video conferencing...
First of all, I think it's very beneficial that students get the opportunity to work with students from other areas of the world. This will broaden their horizons, and give them the opportunity to experience new things. With videoconferencing, teachers can save money on field trips and transportation issues.
The teacher will usually have a webcam that the students can look into and talk into. Don't worry, I'm sure the teacher will be monitoring what's going on at all times.
Skype, a telephony software program supports one on one calls through the internet can be used in the classroom as well.
I think you should sign that paper and let your children experience something new!
Post a Comment